* Everybody all at once now: “Ooooo shiny!” *
If you are unfamiliar with BB Creams (aka “beauty balms”, “blemish balms”, “beblesh balms”), they are essentially created to be a multifunctional product that combines both skincare and base/foundation properties into one daily use makeup essential. Think hydrating, sun protecting, skin healing, acne treating, wrinkle targeting, spot covering magic in a tube! Certainly different BB creams focus on different age groups or concerns but you can often find any combination of these properties in any BB cream. In a sense, you can call it the the Swiss Army knife of the foundation world…for women and men as well. I have tried a good handful of popular BB Creams from Asia yet this one remains one of my favourites based on quality and overall effectiveness.
The Basic Stats: as from Skin79
- Produced by WIZCOZ Korea
- Air tight pump dispenser
- Lightly scented.
- Sturdy weight plastic bottle
- Shade: 1 only
- SPF 25 / PA++
- Claims: Whitening, UV protection, anti-wrinkle, (hydration)
- Gold and Caviar extract creates beautiful shiny skin
- Sebum control and great adhesion to the skin.
- Korean Food and Drug Administration approved 3-functions.
- Full size 40g @ approx $17-20 Cad (online/ebay)
- Also available from Skin79 North American website HERE.
- Other travel sizes/tubes available
Minor changes have been made to the design over the years that I have purchased it but the main look and feel of the product (and ingredients) remained almost identical. It has a very clean, sharp and high end aesthetic that would sit well on the vanity of consumers from any age range. Skin79 markets itself to be a very pharmaceutical brand (along the lines of say VICHY, La Roch Posay and Clinique), producing a wide range of skincare for men and women as well as a number of BB creams. The VIP Gold range is on the more prestigious end of their BB cream selection but they do have many options for various budgets and age groups.
The Video Review
Before and After
I must say that my skin has been pretty stable in the past few weeks so you’re not seeing me at my worst. However I have have also used this during my bad skin days to smooth out bumps and redness and it works wonderfully. You can see details on my skin statistics HERE
While it is a shame there is only one shade (poor colour selection is a fault with many Asian BB Creams), you’ll be happy to hear that it does do some magical shade adjusting after minutes on your skin. From my experience, BB creams are not meant to be actual foundation (though the higher coverage ones can be) but rather an extension of your skincare with some coverage properties and sun protection. Those that are able to find a good shade match may want to wear it solo but others who can’t might want to try this as a foundation primer/base (hence less of a colour matching issue).
As you can see from the ingredients below, the composition of this product seems rather complex with your standard slew of foundation/skincare binders and emulsifiers but also a notable list of natural extracts as well. As with all natural extracts, effectiveness is often arguable but I’d like to think they do play an important role in the product. I am always happy to see natural ingredients in my products!
*photo can be enlarged on flickr, just click it*
The Final Breakdown
- A daily use all-in-one product, better seen as an extension of your basic skincare but with some bonus foundation properties.
- Closest skin tone match: NC20/NW20 – NC30/NW30
- Natural / Satin finish if applied sparingly, glossy
if applied heavily.
- Smoothes over the skin, softening visible pores and fine lines.
- Helps skin stay hydrated through the day, increased skin elasticity.
- Average lasting ability: 5 hrs (no powder, no primer)
- Best for skin types: slightly dry, normal/combination, slightly oily.
- Best used as a foundation primer or tinted moisturizer.
- A concealer and powder is also available from the same line.
- THINGS TO NOTE:
- This is not an oil-free product, although it has never gave me spots on my acnegenic skin.
- Be weary of wearing this in flash photography, there is physical SPF (titanium dioxide) in this product.
- You still need to REMOVE this at the end of the day like you would a foundation, don’t sleep with it on.
- This version, I feel, feels slightly less dewy than previous releases although I can not be certain if they have changed the product itself.
While you might be put off by the lack of colour selection, I would still highly recommend you give a chance to this BB cream from Skin79. Although many brands claim wondrous results, this is one of the few BB creams that have lived up to the claims and with extended use I have seen real improvements to my skin. And you know what else this would be good for? An exciting luxury feeling gift for your girlfriends or mother that doesn’t cost a fortune. Win-Win!
Used this Skin79 VIP Gold BB Cream before?
Share you thoughts in the comments!